The Totenkirchl is located at 2186 m above sea level on the high plateau of the Alpe di Villandro/Villanderer Alm, which is one of the largest high alpine pasture in Europe. It was probably built by some miners who lived in this mountain area at the time.
Because of its exposed position, the chapel requires frequent restoration cycles to the building. In its present form, it was built in 1899. The last renovation took place in 1981 by the Villander Schützen.
Worthy of note is the Crucifixion group inside the church.
Both on the side of the Alpe di Villandro and on that of the Val Sarentino the Stations of the Cross lead to this probably oldest place of pilgrimage of South Tyrol.
July and August, on Sundays at 11 am on the Alpe di Villandro (in German language)