Origin of the Kuntner Route
Since time immemorial, Barbian/Barbiano has been situated along an important trade route. The Kuntner Route – which, because of the impassibility of the Eisack Gorge, led from the valley floor to the Ritten/Renon – had its origin exactly here. Romans, Rhaetians, the Bavarii, kings, knights, popes, noblemen, and artists all passed through Barbian/Barbiano, and some even stopped for a visit. You can learn more about the impressions which they left behind in the landscape and the traditional customs on one of our art-themed and cultural hikes
Go to All Sightseeing Destinations of the Region
"Trostburg/Castel Forte" Castle at Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena
One of the South Tyrol's most magnificent fortress complexes, Forte Castle was built at the end of the 12th century and then enlarged and fortified ...
more about Trostburg
Another attraction worth visiting was not created by builders but by nature: the Barbian waterfalls. The Ganderbach (stream), which is near Kollmann ...
more about the Barbian waterfalls
The Church of St. Ingenuin and Albuin at Saubach
The patrons of the Saubach parish church are St. Ingenuin and St. Albuin. The church was first mentioned in 1398. However, the choice of patrons concludes that the church is much older. Today’s Gothic church is a real attraction for many art lovers. It was built during the 15th Century. The consecration of the altars took place in 1502. When you enter the inside of the church via the porphyry portal with its pointed arch, you will immediately be impressed by the delicate rips of the net-like vault, the four custom-made windows and the three wing altars. In 1925, a fire did substantial damage to the church, but with the help of donations from all around the country, the helmet-like tower and the roof could be renewed. Information about opening times at the Barbian Tourist Information Office, +39 0471 654 411, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Holy Grave Chapel in Barbian/Barbiano
The Holy Grave chapel is situated just below the road, which connects Waidbruck to Barbian, just near the Wohlaufhof (farmhouse). The chapel has a very simple Baroque altar. This little chapel was probably built during the 17th Century in connection with a crusade. This impression is strengthened by three road crosses, which can be found in the surrounding area. In 1701, the chapel underwent a renovation paid for by Mr. Leiter, the post master of Kollmann and was cleaned up again in 1983. Ask for the key from the nearby „Wohlaufhof“, tel. +39 0471 654 024.
The Holy Trinity Church at Kollmann/Colma
The Holy Trinity Church in Kollmann was previously called the customs chapel and was connected to the customs office by a wooden walkway. The church itself was built around 1588 and nearly destroyed by fire in 1938. In the meantime, it has been renovated. Open from 8.00am to 7.00pm. Holy Mass: Sunday at 8.30am or 10.00am (german)
The Leonard Church at Kollmann/Colma
The Leonard church is located right beside the country road of Kollmann. It has a striking front bell wall. During the 17th Century, the two chapels on the side with their small towers were added to the construction. Until 1870, it was custom in Kollmann, to have a large street market during the time when the cattle was blessed. Horses were driven around the church three times. The riders, as well as the coachmen (Leonard is the patron of all coachmen) sacrificed a horseshoe or a piece of iron on this occasion. From these pieces, a large chain was forged, which was used as a church decoration. Beside the Leonard church is a cemetery, in which a monumental wall serves a reminder of the people buried alive during a storm in 1891.
The Parish Church to St. Jacobs in Barbian/Barbiano
The Parish church of Barbian is consecrated to St. Jacobs the Elder and was first mentioned in 1378. The shapes of the windows of the leaning tower however, are evidence to an even earlier time. Its octagonal top was added during the 15th Century. During this time, the church was renovated and once more consecrated in 1472. In 1874, the nave was re-designed and received its present New-Roman form. The vestry, which serves as choir stalls, is the only part left, to represent the old Gothic buildings. On the inside of the church, on the main altar, there is a copy of the famous crucifixion group by Wechselburg, as well as 12 glass windows representing the apostles, a rosette window just above the main entrance and several wooden sculptures from the 16th and 17th Centuries. Open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Holy Mass: Sunday at 8.00am or 10.00am (german) and Saturday at 7.00pm (german).
Dreikirchen/Trechiese at Barbian/Barbiano
Three small churches, church of Saint Gertraud, Saint Nikolaus and Saint Magdalena, built in the 12th and 15th century in an incredibly beautiful ...
more about Dreikirchen