Rich in Culture: From the Stone Age till Today
The excavations in the Tanzgasse revealed it: The sun-drenched locality of Feldthurns / Velturno drew settlers here 5,000 years before Christ. In the Archeopark (grand opening in the fall of 2008,) you can investigate the artifacts left by the first settlers. In the year 1577, the bishops of Brixen/Bressanone chose the village with its wonderful vistas as their summer residence and built the Velthurns Castle. The region is rich in churches, chapels, and country manors – all of which have a fascinating story to tell.
Castel Velturno / Schloss Velthurns
Once the summer residence of the Bressanone bishop-princes, this elegant complex was completely renovated from 1979-83.
more about Schloss Feldthurns
Archaeology in Velturno and the Valle Isarco/Eisacktal
Archaeological exhibition of finds from Velturno and the Valle Isarco on the ground floor of the Castel Velturno. Open before and after the guided tours of the castle Velthurns. Guided tours: Tue-Sun 10:00, 11:00, 14:30 and 15:30 clock, July and August at 16:30 clock.
Archeoparc Tanzgasse Velturno - A Stone’s Kingdom
The sun terrace of Velturno has been visited and populated for more than 7000 years. As the excavation of the Tanzgasse showed, the area was of ...
more about the Archeoparc
Church of S. Andrea in Caerna/Garn
The church belonging to the parish Lazfons, once a Roman, was in the 15th Century Gothic style and received its present from in the 17th Century.
Local History Museum (Currently closed)
St. Laurentius Church in Velturno/Feldthurns
The St. Laurentius church (Gothic with Romanesque nave walls) stands at the heart of the village. It was built between 1286 and 1295 and extended in around 1400. The tower was not built until the 16th century and was not given secure enough foundations – so Feldthurns has its very own leaning tower!
The Parish Church "zu Maria Himmelfahrt" in Velturno
The parish church Maria Himmelfahrt (of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary) is the oldest: the Chapel of Our Lady, built in 1112, was used as a parish church from 1170. It was rebuilt between 1499 and 1515, but its current style – Late Gothic – dates from its rebuilding between 1894 and 1899 according to plans drawn up by the Viennese architect Weber.