The Capuchin church goes also back to the donation of the Spanish queen Maria Anna (1667-1740) at the request of Father Gabriel Pontifeser (1653-1706). The church was built like the monastery between 1699 and 1701. It is, in its simplicity, a fine example of the Order’s architecture. In a niche above the main portal the marble statue of St Felix of Cantalice rises, patron saint of the church, with two angels by his side carrying the insignia of the Spanish royal family.
The altarpieces of both main and side altar were created by Lombard painter and engraver Paolo Pagani (1655-1716), who was active at numerous European courts and is referred to as the “painter of the Spanish Queen” in various documents. Both works were completed in 1702. The two side altars had originally been attributed to Carlo Cignani. Today, we know the first altarpiece was created by an unknown artist of assumingly local origin, while the second is by Lombard painter Stefano Maria Legnani (1661-1713). Legnani gives a brilliant example of the neo-classical Bolognese School and Roman influence.