On the way up to Säben we pass fourteen Stations of the Cross with images depicting the suffering of Christ on the way to Golgotha. During pilgrimages, especially in the weeks before Easter, many pilgrims pause in prayer before each station.
Wayside shrines along the ascent to Säben existed 500 years ago: one of these can be clearly seen in Albrecht Dürer’s copperplate engraving “Nemesis”, which dates from 1495. The town museum in Klausen also contains a painting by Stefan Kessler dating from 1650 in which seven wayside shrines, commissioned by Abraham Jenner, can be seen. His nephew, Matthias Jenner, founded the monastery of Säben a few decades later.
Today’s fourteen Stations of the Cross were redesigned and consecrated in 1839: the panels were painted by Johann Endfelder from Schwaz in Tyrol, an outstanding Tyrolean master during the transition from late Baroque to Classicism