Säbenis the spiritual cradle of the entire Tyrol region and one of its oldest monuments.
The Säben Mountain and its monastery deserve the utmost attention because of their archaeological, historical and artistical importance.
Sabiona is the emblem of the Eisack Valley, known also as the “acropolis of Tyrol”, with a very long history.
Around the year 1000 the bishopric was moved from Säben to Brixen/Bressanone. Until then, the Holy Cross Church was the cathedral of the bishopric Säben for about 400 years.
The Holy Mountain is one of the oldest pilgrimage places in Tyrol. The famous Ladin pilgrimage is already mentioned in 1503.
For over 300 years now, a women's order has taken possession of the mountain. The monastery itself is still inhabited by nuns and is therefore not accessible for visitors. However, three churches and a chapel are open to the public.
1. Branzoll Castle: private property, not to be visited
2. Gnadenkapelle (Grace Chapel): open daily from 8 am to 6 pm, free access
3. Church of Our Lady: an archaeological and historical documentation is available to the public, free access.
Opening times: from July until October every Tuesday from 2 pm to 5 pm.
4. Monastery Church: Open daily from 8 am to 5 pm, free admission. Temporary closing at any time and without prior notice due to cleaning work by nuns possible.
5. Holy Cross Abbey: Open daily from 8 am to 5 pm, free access. An archaeological and historical documentation is available to the public.
6. Monastery: Benedictine nuns live in seclusion and therefore the monastery is not open to visitors. You are kindly requested not to ring at the gate for information or guided tours.
The Säben Monastery is reachable only on foot, along the trail Kreuzweg (30 minutes) or the Säben Promenade (40 minutes).